mandag, februar 18, 2008

Meta-tagging files

Literature study: Metadata as a 'filing system', Using Metadata Effectively in OS X, Metadata in OS X: Part Two, Metadata in OS X: Wrap Up. Why? A file should be in a fixed place from the moment I start using it. I should never have to search for latest and greatest version of a file, and backup should not be filled with copies of the same file in different locations. Therefore I keep a vast archive of projects, into which files are stored, and a current-folder which links to said archive. When I download files, I will move them into project archive before I open. Problems are A file does not always fit into a project, I may need some general categories as well. Some files may be fundamental to more than 1 project (such as Quicksilver manual). Some files (such as video) may be too large for them to be located on working disc. With lots of small projects, this is not a good solution.

Categories:

  • audio, video, photo
  • pg
  • travel
  • toy / gadget
  • design
  • computing / programming / java

Some tags:

  • project:dotflickr, project:dotblogger, project:dotmeta, project:dotfixlinks
  • project:dotinventory (music / file / photo listing code), project:video
  • project:pgcourse2_05
  • project:macuse, project:macdev
  • project:jobsearch, project:housing, project:postgrado
  • project:current
  • go2:rsa06, go2:mex04, go2:mex08
  • category:pgcourse, category:pgsite
  • category:met
  • category:toy:iPod, category:toy:eyeTV, category:toy:gps
  • rating:3
  • source:http://www.nki.no/ (file downloaded from)
  • synch:flickr:{id}
  • synch:svn:{command}
  • geo:pos:{coordinates}
  • geo:address:Oslo, Norway
  • expiry:{date}

Some applications:

OpenPList, houdahGeo (geo-tagging images), DefaultFolderX, TagBot.

Quicksilver and tagging (quicksilver spotlight tagging):

ctrl+space to start apple+g to load selected files (i assigned alt+space as trigger to open qs with selection) "tag" to get add tag action, hit enter and write tag From tag: "->" to get list of tag, select tag and one more "->" to get list of files

How to use the operators for building Spotlight Queries. Raw Spotlight Queries (an option when building SmartFolders).

Necessary maintenance of tags

Synch / publish with svn, blogger, flickr etc.

Add remove from list of current / work-mode

rename tags

split / merge

process active tags:

  • delete expired
  • mail reminders
  • move resources, workflow tasks

group / relate tags - build thesaurus. Inspiration?

fetch tags or resources from application (ScrapBook)

Etiketter

Om meg

Bildet mitt
Introvert, nerd, pragmatic and restless. Paraglider pilot since 1998, doing long distance flights, competitions and aerobatics. Grounded with children since 2008. Sivilingeniør (~MSc degree) in Cybernetics Engineering since 1994. I have programmed since 1986, professionally since 1995. I am more of a generalist than a specialist, having done many computer languages and having had to fill most roles in application development. I consider myself a pragmatic craftsman.